Different experiences in life can shape who we are and how we grow. Older generations dismiss 20-somethings and say, “You still have a lot of maturing to do.” However, many societal innovations and business accomplishments are discovered by people who are still quite young. This is what we call an ‘Old Soul’ and there is nothing wrong about being an old soul.
What could potentially pull you into a category of an old soul? There are many things people with old souls experience. Here are just a few:
- You could not wait to be old enough to get a real job.
- You don’t understand the point of random hookups and staying in relationships that aren’t going anywhere.
- You search for a deep and compatible companion who could last forever.
- People always turn to you for advice and to be a shoulder to lean on.
- You enjoy the simpler things in life, like a real book because you love the smell of paper and ink instead of swiping on a Kindle.
- You keep a tight and intimate circle of friends. You understand the dangers of toxic relationships and don’t want to waste your time on shallow friendships.
- You understand who you are and where you want to go in life. While others went to college to find themselves, you already knew what you wanted.
- You get slightly offended when someone tells you how young you look. You might interpret this as not being taken seriously or seen as an equal.
- People find it easy to trust you with a lot of responsibility because they know you can handle it.
- You’ve never really been a fan of partying because the idea of uncomfortable shoes, drunk strangers hitting on you and being sick the next day makes you cringe. Also, losing control over your body and mind is your personal hell.
- You have a natural talent for reading people. Usually, no one can hide a secret from you or move on after an “I’m fine” because you understand microexpressions.
- You all-around feel like you’re older than your peers. You’ll look at their actions and choices and feel confused. You’re often thinking to yourself, “I was definitely never like that.”
- You see the bigger picture. Old souls have the tendency to look at life from a bird’s eye view, seeing what is the wisest and meaningful way to approach life. When confronted with issues, old souls tend to see them as temporary and passing pains that merely serve to increase the amount of joy felt in the future.
How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? – Satchel Paige