It is time to Rediscover. Remember when you were just a child and everything in front of you was all excitement and the next best thing. At a young age – learning and growing, we were at the perfect age to appreciate just about everything and a number of times we would be surprised was just another day in our lives. But looking back, there is the cliche question in which we may always go back to, or that people always ask us to remember.
As a child, the most common question we were probably asked was: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” We were allowed to be dreamers, give the most extravagant answers; think of the craziest careers and even to have superpowers.
Time has passed and by now we started our career or have forgotten the world changing dreams we once had as a child. Maybe we thought it was our calling, or maybe we simply found a job that pays the bills. However, there will be a time when a little voice deep within us will ask for more. And then it is up to us to decide what we do with it. The journey to discover your calling can take many years and I believe our calling changes as we as people evolve and develop, however, our life’s calling may never change. It is time to rediscover.
What is the So-called Calling?
A calling is more than just doing the work you are getting paid for, it encompasses your whole being and sense of purpose in life. If you are following your calling then you most probably feel alive, awake and happy. You feel passion for the work you do and believe your life is equally meaningful and fulfilling. The 3 most common callings:
- Calling from outside: Looking for needs of the world and how you can help. You put the needs of others before yours.
- Inner voice: the thirst to discover your calling.
- Perfect Fit: Finding your profession based on your strengths, skills, values, and interests.
So how do we rediscover our calling?
- Have dates with yourself to get to know the real you
- If you would win a 100 million Dollars right now, what kind of work would you do?
- Imagine you have already lived a full life and people are gathering at your funeral
- Be brave and take small steps to change your present
- Plan and be ready for detours
Embracing your calling means to learn, plan and set goals while being mindful on your journey. It’s important to keep in mind that we are not here to “find” our calling but to discover it.
That’s everybody is – somebody is interested in everything, anything you can be interested in, you will find others will. But it’s absolutely stupid to spend your time doing things you don’t like, in order to go on spending things you don’t like, doing things you don’t like and to teach our children to follow in the same track. – Alan Watts