Take a moment today, take a chance to re-evaluate who you are and what you are gunning for in life. What’s your passion? Humor me for just a moment. I don’t care when it is today – but take a chance. What if I told you that you could live a life, in which you ruled the timing, you worked when and how you wanted. You didn’t have to take orders but make your own path. What if you could do anything or everything you have ever wanted to do and you would never have to worry about money again? Sounds too good to be true right, while at the same time you are thinking WHERE DO I SIGN UP or WHERE DO I START. Well if you are thinking one of these, or maybe you are simply curious… I dare you to read on…
You can be anything you dream to be. You can be anything you want to be – as long as you are willing to risk it all and take the chance and believe you can. Now it won’t be an overnight success but it will be a success. Time, effort, hard work, fun, people and an idea of what you are doing is all going to play a part and a role in getting you from the very moment you start to the very moment you achieve a lifestyle overhaul.
But what is this lifestyle overhaul I’m talking about? How and why is this lifestyle better than what you are doing?
Well if you are working the “9 to 5” corporate drain, or maybe something similar to that – if you are doubting your focus, motivation, and adrenaline to pursue further, to go for the promotion, to work hard and hopefully be rewarded – then maybe you need to make a change. If you love this, or what you are doing already then you may as well stop reading. To be frank… if you are just living life and working for the sake of working to survive, or to get by – then this is perfect for you to read on.
So before you can have this amazing new lifestyle you need to do two things.
- Go through a process of SELF-DISCOVERY. It will be the best lesson you will ever learn.
- Get a pen and paper and ask yourself a bunch of questions (listed below) and see your results.
From there, you can take a blueprint, a plan or food for thought and have something to move forward with. You can take action and actually start working towards a new lifestyle design. So let’s do this.
1. A process of self-discovery.
Sometimes we find ourselves so totally lost, like you are following the path that has been designed for you, but you have no control or say, like a puppet, and still find yourself in the middle of nowhere without a map or compass to guide the way, or a mobile to call home. That is what life is: a paradoxical Bermuda Triangle. You have no one but yourself as a resource to stay afloat. (you do have God – don’t ever doubt it or him. Want more info on God? You can ask me about that anytime)
We spend the best years of our lives going to school to learn how to be something. After learning that something we go into a life long career to pay a mortgage or to be a cog in a machine, with a big dream to one day hit it big…. but with no plan on how you will. In the real world, books won’t lead you out of the woods. You can’t look for answers in the dictionary, and a map will never lead you where you ought to go. They can guide you but the answer comes down to the discovery of the self and how it is the most valuable lesson you were never taught.
Here are 8 Self’s you need to get to know: (read full article here)
Finding your passion is never an easy process – but one way and a way which reveals the most is through pen and paper and your mind. So go grab some paper and write down these questions and get your mind in the right place for this process.
- Make a list of things that you are good at. Skills and strengths. For example, are you good at sports? List the sports you’re good at. Other examples: reading, writing, filing paperwork, algebra, running, driving, caring for animals, etc. List any and all skills that you have.
- Make a list of things that you enjoy. Things that are fun for you, or that you are passionate about. Anything at all…animals, reading, playing games, exercising, celebrities, helping people, algebra, etc. List any and all things that you enjoy doing and/or are passionate about.
- Make a list of careers that you could pursue using the things from BOTH lists. If you like animals, you could list things like “veterinarian” or “animal shelter worker”. If you are good at math, you could list things like “math teacher/tutor”, “computer science”, or “finance”. Make a list of careers that you could pursue using either your skills, or your passions.
- Now look at your first two lists and ask yourself: is there anything that you are BOTH good at AND enjoy doing? If so, you are lucky! Not everyone has a skill that they also enjoy doing. Look at where this specific activity fits into the third list you made of possible careers. Ask yourself, is this activity something that you would like to pursue as a career? It can be very enjoyable to do something you love for work.
- If there is NOT something that you are both goods at and enjoy doing, don’t worry! Many people are in this situation yet are still able to live happy fulfilling lives. You’ll just have to think a little harder about what you want your future to be like. If this is the case, here’s what to do next:
- Choose something from your lists to try. You cannot find out what you want to do without trying some things, especially when you are young and have less experience. The more experience you have, the more you will learn about yourself, your abilities, and what you want out of life. So choose a few things and pursue them as best you can.
If you are not sure what to try, here is an answer about passions and strengths that might help you to narrow it down: How do you get to know your passion?
Still, don’t know? Have a look here: How do I discover my passion?
Want a book to read about it? – $100 Startup: Reinvent The Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
Photo Credit: Instagram: Photo by @barefoot_islandgirl | Location: Ko Phangan, Surat Thani, Thailand